Domaine La Bouïssiere

Domaine La Bouïssiere

Created between 1955 and 1960 by Antonin Faravel, this 18 hectare estate is now run by his two sons, Thierry and Gilles. The domaine’s organically run vineyards lie primarily in the high, rocky hills of Les Dentelles de Montmirail with many of the vines now over fifty years old. The soils are poor, made up of thin sandy clay over limestone. The altitude and different orientations aid in a slow maturation of the grapes, with the cooler nights giving plenty of acidity. Thierry, who makes the wines, prefers to ferment whole bunch where possible, believing that the stems help bring more freshness to the wines. Maturation is done in barrel and foudres with an increasing percentage of the latter.

Rhône Valley

Sixty years ago, Antonin Faravel planted his first vines on the slope of La Grande Bouïssiere, at the feet of the Dentelles de Montmirail, with a passion inspired by this breathtaking site stretched between earth and sky.

Following his untimely death, his children decided to continue his work.

Domaine la Bouïssiere is today one of the few estates to produce wines from the three appellations located in this magnificent corner of the southern Rhône Valley: Gigondas, Vacqueyras and Beaumes de Venise.


Planted on scree slopes between 1963 and 1966, the largest parcel of Gigondas is found at between 300-500 metres altitude at the foot of Les Dentelles de Montmirail with a north west orientation. A layer of clay is found beneath the scree, rich in alumino-silicates and and metallic trace elements as well as important reserves of water for the vines. Organic viticulture is practised although not certified with the only treatments being copper, sulphur and natural compost. The soils are lightly ploughed when necessary and de-budding and shoot thinning is also carried out to create a well aerated canopy. The denisty of planting is 4500 vines per hectare and harvesting is done by hand.


Harvested by hand, the grapes are brought to the winery where they are sorted to select only the best quality fruit. 70% of the grapes go into tank whole bunch and 30% are destemmed and lightly crushed. Fermentation and maceration lasts 30 days with daily pump overs and punch downs. After pressing, the 65% of the wine is transferred to large casks to do its malolactic fermentation and the remaining 35% stays in tank. The wine is bottled without fining or filtration.

Related Products

Gigondas, Domaine La Bouïssière

Gigondas, Domaine La Bouïssière



Learn More
Add to cart